Thursday, June 30, 2011

My review of Picasso: Masterpieces from the Musée National Picasso, Paris at the de Young Museum for Art Practical

I paint the way some people write their autobiography…. I have less and less time and yet I have more and more to say, and what I have to say is, increasingly, something about the movement of my thought.

—Pablo Picasso

This collection of “Picasso’s Picassos” comprises 150 of the thousands of pieces amassed by the artist and bequeathed by his heirs to the French government to allay its vampiric inheritance tax. Arranged chronologically, the abridged but representative array of Picasso’s career reflects his belief that painting is “just another way of keeping a diary"; the works become a multifarious self-portrait spanning seventy years. The exhibit begins with what one would swear is a Van Gogh, not merely for its effulgent colors, rough, thick brushstrokes, and the almost material quality of the light beams emanating from the candle, but also for its morbid preoccupation. La Mort De Casagemas (1901) depicts Picasso’s friend and poet, dead from suicide over a failed love affair. Picasso was twenty years old and newly enthralled by the avant-garde movement thriving in his adopted city of Paris; he quickly mastered its various innovations before launching into his Blue Period. (continue reading)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This article reminds me of a documentary that I recently watched on TV.
It is about Alan Streets, a NYC streets artist diagnosed with schizophrenia.
“My Name is Alan, and I Paint Pictures” is a film about Alan’s life as he works to break his way into the professional art world.
The film also addresses larger issues which directly or indirectly affect Alan.
Subjects addressed include the treatment and diagnosis of Paranoid Schizophrenia, and the therapeutic benefits of art for mental illness. Alan Streets sells his paintings on his website at http://www.alanstreetsstore.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCcc3-uR35M
Alan’s life and his daily struggles with schizophrenia are actually very inspiring.
His artworks definitely remind me of Picasso’s and Van Gogh’s paintings.